|Back to: "Update on Kanaka Maoli (indigenous Hawaiian) Health"
Update on Kanaka Maoli
(indigenous Hawaiian) Health
Kekuni Blaisdell, M.D.
1. Blaisdell RK. The health status of Kanaka Maoli (indigenous Hawaiians). Asian Am Pacific Isl J Health. 1993; 1 (2) : 116-160.
2. US Bureau of the Census, 1990 Census of Population. General population characteristics of Hawai'i, 1990; June 1992, Washington DC, Government Printing Office publication 1990 CP-1-13.
3. State of Hawai'i Department of Health. Health Surveillance Program, 1990. Office of Health Status Monitoring.
4. State of Hawai'i Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism. State of Hawai'i Data Book, 1993-1994. 1995.
5. Barringer, H., Liu N. The Demographic, Social and Economic Status of Native Hawaiians, 1990. 1994, Alu Like.
6. Yang H, Braun KL, Onaka A, Horiuchi B. Life Expectancy in major ethic groups in Hawai'i. 1980-1990. 1995, in preparation.
7. Nordyke EC. The Peopling of Hawai'i. 2nd edition, 1989, Honolulu: U Hawai'i. Press.
8. Braun KL, Look MA, Tsark JAU. High mortality rates in Native Hawaiians. Hawai'i Med J. 1995;54 (9) : 723-729.
9. Look MA, Braun KL, A mortality study of the Hawaiian people, 1910 to 1990. The Queen's Health Systems, 1995.
10. Takenaka C. A Perspective on Hawaiians. Hawai'i Community Foundation Diversity Project, 1995.
11. Martin JA. Birth characteristics for Asian or Pacific Islander subgroups, 1992. Monthly Vital Statistics Report 1995; 43(10):1-11. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention / National Center for Health Statistics.
12. State of Hawai'i Department of Health. AIDS Surveillance Quarterly Report, March 31, 1995.
13. State of Hawai'i Department of Health. Hawai'i's Health Risk Behaviors 1992. Health Promotion and Education Branch.
14. Else IN. Data Base 1995, Native Hawaiian Center of Excellence, JAB School of Medicine, University of Hawai'i, 1995.
15. Nissanka LS. Native Hawaiian Health Professions Scholarship Program, 1995.
16. U.S. Congress, 1988. Native Hawaiian Health Scholarship Program. PHS Act 42 USC254b, et seq amendment. Washington DC, 1988.
17. U.S. Congress, 1988. Native Hawaiian Health Care Act of 1988. Washington DC: PL 100-579, 1988.
18. U.S. Congress, 1992. Native Hawaiian Health Care Improvement Act of 1992. Washington DC: PL 102-396, Sec 9168 of Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 1993.
19. Aiu P, Spoehr H, Native Hawaiian Health Initiative. Papa Ola Lokahi, 1995.
20. Mau MK, Grandine A, Arakaki RF, Ladao NK, Chang HK, Curb JD. Diabetes and heart disease risk factors in Hawaiians. Hawai'i Med J 1994;53(12)340-343. Diabetes mellitus and insulin resistance syndrome in Native Hawaiians, June 19, 1995.
21. Curb JD, Aluli ND, Kautz JA, Petrovitch H, Knutsen SF, Krutsen R, O'Connor HK, Connor WE. Cardiovascular risk factor levels in ethnic Hawaiians. Am J Public Health 1991;81(2):164-7.
22. Aluli NE, Connor WE, Kohn C, O'Connor HK, Petrovitch H, Hughes CL, Blaisdell RK. 1990 Effect of pre-Western diet on plasma lipids, lipoproteins and blood pressure in Native Hawaiians. Abstract, American College of Physicians, Hawai'i Regional Annual Meeting, March 12, 1990.
23. Shintani TT, Hughes CK, Beckham S, O'Connor HK. 1991. Obesity and cardiovascular risk intervention through the ad libitum feeding of traditional Hawaiian diet. Am J Clin Nutr 1991;53-1647s-1651s, 1991.
24. Shintani TT. Follow-up on 46 of 61 initial 1991 Wai'anae Diet participants, 1995.
25. State of Hawai'i Department of the Attorney General. 1994 Crime in Hawai'i. Honolulu: Hawai'i Crime Prevention Division.
26. Harper AC, Lambert LJ, 1994. The Health of Populations. 2nd ed. New York: Springer, 1994.
27. Haas M. Institutional Racism. The Case in Hawai'i. Westport, Connecticut: Praeger, 1992.
28. Mokuau N. 1990. The impoverishment of Native Hawaiians and the Social Work Challenge. Health and Social Work 1990; 15:235-242, 1990.
29. Blaisdell K. 1993. Historical and Philosophical Aspects of Lapa'an Traditional Kanaka Maoli Healing Practices. In He Alo A He Alo. Face to Face. Hawaiian Voices on Sovereignty. Honolulu: Hawai'i Area Office of the American Friends Service Committee, 1993.
30. U.S. 103rd Congress. Public Law 103-150. Joint Resolution on 100th Anniversary of the Overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom and to Offer an Apology to Native Hawaiians on Behalf of the United States, November 23, 1993.
31. Palafox NA. The Health Predicament of the US Associated Pacific Jurisdictions and Countries, July 10, 1995.
If you have any thoughts on this or would like to contribute to an ongoing discussion in the
What is New? || Affirmative Action || Art Changes || Autonomy: Chiapas - California ||
Community Images || Education Rights || E-mail, Opinions and Discussion ||
En español || Essays from Ireland || Global Eyes || Healthcare ||
Human Rights/Civil Rights || Piri Thomas ||
Photo of the Week || QA: Interviews || Region || Rural America ||
Search || Donate || To be notified of new articles || Survey ||
In Motion Magazine's Store || In Motion Magazine Staff ||
In Unity Book of Photos ||
Links Around The World
Copyright © 1995-2018 NPC Productions as a compilation. All Rights Reserved.